Each year as the autumn transitions into the winter, we’re faced with a new cold and flu season. Although one of the best ways of avoiding the flu is to make sure you get your annual flu shot, this is never 100% guaranteed. And as for colds, those always seem to strike out of the blue and at the worst possible moment. What if there were something you could add to your routine that would nourish your immune system with support all year long so you’re ready for the cold and flu season? Well, we’ve picked out some of the best supplements you can take to boost your immune system and keep it functioning properly--because you never know when the cold or flu could knock you down!
How to Keep Your Immune System Ready
Is there really an easy way to boost your immune system for cold and flu season?
No one likes to be down for the count with a nasty cold or flu, and even when you seem to take the right precautions you still end up getting sick. Although the symptoms of a cold and flu such as congestion, coughs, runny noses, and body aches can be miserable--they are actually your immune system fighting off the virus or bacteria that caused your sickness. This is your body’s way of trying to get back to homeostasis--or properly functioning at a balanced and normal level.
Doctors are still learning about our immune systems and its responses to triggers like the cold or the flu, which is why even when you get a flu shot, you can still come down with the flu. In order to reduce your chances of getting sick this year, there are some very simple things you can do.
- Eat healthy. Make sure to include fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains throughout your day. This will not only give you the energy you need to get through the day, but will help your body stay at peak performance.
- Exercise daily. Exercise is as good for the body as it is for the mind--making it one of the best things you can do for your overall well being. Including a mix of cardio, weights, and calisthenics (such as yoga) will make sure you’re using your muscles daily, and giving your mind some time to rest. Exercise also releases serotonin, which can improve your mood!
- Get proper sleep. Each night our mind and body need time to rest and recharge. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day. Getting into a routine will let your body know it’s time for rest.
- Stay away from sick people. A no-brainer, but sometimes it can’t be avoided. You never know if that person in front of you at the grocery store is sick, so it’s always good to maintain a safe distance. If a family member gets sick, make sure you’re cleaning surfaces regularly.
- Wash your hands. This is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of germs, and it’s also one of the easiest! Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds as often as you need to throughout the day but always after you use the restroom, handle food, touch your face, or touch highly contacted surfaces (such as doors). The COVID-19 pandemic has pushed this recommendation to the forefront, but it has always been an important preventative action.
- Get vaccines. Before flu season hits, make sure to get your flu shot.
- Include immune systems supplements. Adding some immune boosting supplements to your lifestyle can help your immune system stay balanced.
- Our immune system is fighting off colds and flus when we see symptoms such as coughing, congestion, and fevers.
- You can keep your immune system strong by maintaining a healthy lifestyle, staying away from sick people, washing your hands, and taking immune supplements.
What Are the Best Immune Support Supplements?
Consider trying out these supplements to keep your immune system in top shape
3 in 1 Immune Support
Turn to this helpful supplement when you need to give your immune system some extra support. With elderberry, vitamin C, and zinc, along with echinacea and B vitamins, you’re sure to feel good and your body will be thanking you! These vitamins and minerals are designed to be rich in antioxidants to calm any inflammation and support the overall health of your immune system. This supplement also contains zinc for white blood cell production as well as vitamin C to help give your immune system the support it needs to return to normal.
People have been turning to elderberries for centuries for protection from sickness. Known as a powerful immune booster, this elderberry supplement works with zinc and vitamin C to keep your body healthy. These little gummies fight free radicals and reduce oxidative stress--and only have 14 calories!
Elderberry Fruit Plus 600
Give your immunity support system a boost with the power of elderberry, phenolic acids, flavanol, and anthocyanins to promote heart health. The antioxidants in this supplement target free radicals that can cause damage to your cells and weaken your immune system.
Vitamin C Gummy
Vitamin C is well known as an immune protecting vitamin that can keep the cold and flu at bay. In this supplement, vitamin C works with echinacea and zinc to shield your body from an infection and keep your immune system up and running.
Lion’s Mane Mushroom Capsules
Although you might think of it as an immune boosting supplement, lion’s mane should definitely be on your list this cold and flu season! Lion’s mane is one of the most powerful nootropics that helps out with memory and focus, as well as improves overall cognitive function. However, it’s also an immune booster, known to help the intestinal immune system and protect the body from colds and flus.
Adding these supplements to your daily routine might help your chances of avoiding the cold or flu this season. However it’s very important to maintain a healthy lifestyle full of exercise, a good diet, and restful sleep. Fight back against the cold and flu this year and keep your immune system optimally balanced!