Main image courtesy of Loews Hotel.
Who doesn’t enjoy the benefits of having firm and supple skin, especially the skin on our face? Our environment as well as the natural process of aging can make skin look less vibrant and appear crepey and thin. In addition, there always seems to be a new wrinkle to fret over. Although you can’t stop the aging process, you can hold on to firmer and more elastic facial skin a little longer with the help of collagen supplements.
But how, exactly, do you rebuild and restore the collagen in your face? Well, keep reading because we’re going to discuss:
- The top benefits of taking a collagen supplement
- How to rebuild the collagen in your face
- Best ways to get collagen
Collagen and Its Benefits
There’s a lot of potential benefits you can enjoy by taking a collagen supplement
Collagen is a hot topic right now, and everyone from nutritional stores to beauty bloggers can’t seem to get enough of it. But what is it exactly? Collagen is actually the most plentiful protein in your body, and you can find it in skin, bones, ligaments, joints, blood vessels, and the digestive system. Collagen is a building block to these and other parts of your body, and essentially acts as the netting that holds it all together.
Unfortunately, as we age, our bodies do not produce collagen in the same amount as it did in our youth, and what it does produce is of a lower quality. This is why as we grow older, we notice more wrinkles, have thinner skin, and may even experience joint aches and pains. Many people have turned to collagen supplements to help restore their skin and to give them some relief from joint pains. Collagen has many potential benefits, including:
- Increase skin’s firmness. By taking a collagen supplement you’re helping your skin look more supple and hydrated. Adding additional collagen to your body may also help stimulate your body into producing more of its own collagen.
- Strengthen hair and nails. Collagen can also help improve the strength and the look of hair and prevent brittle nails.
- Improve joint health. As we age, our cartilage begins to deteriorate, causing aches and pains for many people. Adding collagen to your routine is a good way to ensure that your joints can feel their best.
- Could prevent bone and muscle loss. Low bone density also happens with age, causing some people to develop conditions such as osteoporosis. Collagen, along with appropriate strength training and exercise, can help keep bones strong and muscles fit by preventing further break down.
- Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body
- Collagen production slows down with age, causing wrinkles, thin skin, and joint pains
- Taking a collagen supplement has its benefits, and along with exercise, a healthy diet, and good sleep schedule, may help keep you looking and feeling great
How to Restore and Rebuild Facial Collagen
Is there a way to restore the collagen in your face?
If you’re looking for firmer, more supple skin in your face, adding a collagen supplement to your lifestyle is a great idea. This way you’ll be actively working to help boost collagen production to help smooth wrinkles and increase the elasticity in your skin. But are there other ways to restore the collagen to your face? You bet there are! Here are a few things you can do to ensure your always putting your best face forward:
- Protect your skin, especially your face! First and foremost, in order to keep the skin of your face healthy, it’s important that you protect it. That means wearing sunscreen when you’re outside, and not allowing your face to burn. If you’re going to be outside in the sun, consider wearing a hat that covers your face. Because nothing can age skin faster than a bad sunburn.
- Get your vitamin C. Vitamin C is something that the body does not produce, so we need to get this nutrient from our diet or as a supplement. Fruits and vegetables such as oranges, strawberries, and broccoli are all great sources. You could also add a cream or a lotion with vitamin C in it and apply it to your face for additional absorption.
- Stay hydrated. Make sure to get your water, each and every day. When we’re dehydrated our skin can suffer, and appear dry and thin. Always make sure you’re getting the water you need.
- Eat foods high in antioxidants. Eating foods that are high in antioxidants (blueberries, green tea, cinnamon) will help your body fend off free radicals. They can also help the collagen you do have do the best that it can.
- Give your face a rub. When putting on lotion or cream to your face, make sure to rub in a circular and upward motion. There have been studies that show just small action can help stimulate the collagen in your face, giving your skin a more supple and hydrated look and feel.
Best Ways to Get Collagen to Your Face
Taking collagen daily is a good way to rebuild it in your face
Collagen supplements are the easiest way to get the collagen you need into your body. They can come in either capsule (Like Dr. Emil’s) or powder form, and are easy to make a part of your routine. After a few weeks of daily consumption, you may start noticing a difference in the look and feel of your facial skin. It may feel smoother and have a more hydrated appearance, which could be due to your collagen intake.
Additionally, you can get collagen through foods such as bone broth, egg whites, lean protein, and citrus fruits, among others. Coupled with a supplement, a healthy lifestyle, and skin protection, this could be your best bet to restore and rebuild the collagen in your face.