Main image courtesy of Observer.
Aging sucks, and sadly there’s no way to get past it. With our bones becoming more brittle, skin aging and losing elasticity, our muscles deteriorating, and much more, aging is something that we can’t seem to get past no matter how hard we try. While there are many ways to reduce the amount of wrinkles your skin has, and supplements that you can take to stay healthy and get the nutrients you may be missing, aging is a process that we can’t bypass.
As we continue to age, the skin under our eyes seems to be one of the first places where it starts to wrinkle due to aging. For lots of people, especially women, wrinkles below the eyes can cause insecurities and people will do almost anything to get rid of them. What if you want to rebuild the collagen underneath your eyes? Here are some of the easiest ways to do so!
Continue reading to learn:
- What is Collagen?
- What Happens to Collagen As We Age?
- How Can You Rebuild the Collagen Under Your Eyes?
What is Collagen?
Collagen is an important part of our skin, so it’s important to understand what it is and what it does!
Collagen is one of the most important parts of your body that makes up your bones, muscles, ligaments, skin, and even your tendons, and it even makes up between 30 to 40 percent of the proteins in your body. It is technically part of the connective tissues in your body to keep tissues, skin, and more super firm.
Protein works together with collagen to make sure your skin is super healthy and to keep the elasticity and the ability to have it stretch out and return back to normal. Without protein or collagen, our skin would not be able to hold up the way that it does.
There are about sixteen different types of collagen, but the first three types make up most of your body. More specifically, it makes up about eighty to ninety percent of your entire body.
The three types of collagen include:
- Type 1 - Holds cells and tissues together and can be found in your skin, bones, ligaments, and many other places throughout the body.
- Type 2 - Found in the elasticity of the cartilage and in your cushion in between your joints.
- Type 3 - Keep the structure of your organs, muscles, and arteries intact to keep them strong.
There are many different types of collagen, but three of them are important in order to support the overall health of your body.
What Happens to Collagen As We Age?
As we get older, the collagen in our body breaks down, but what else happens?
As we age, collagen begins to break down, but did you also know that it can start to deteriorate as early as your teens? While we know that this is hard to think about, it is in fact true. When we reach the age of 25, the elasticity of your skin in your face can decrease and fine lines can even appear.
While wrinkles and the breakdown of collagen in your skin can develop all over your body, it seems that it starts to show in your face first before anywhere else. This is because we constantly are showing how we feel with our expressions. Wrinkles can appear around our eyes, on our forehead, mouth, and cheek area where we can develop laugh lines from smiling or even laughing.
The skin around our eyes is about forty percent thinner than any of the other skin on our bodies. The biggest factor that breaks down the collagen around our eyes is the sun, which can cause permanent effects to our eyes. Tiredness and age also plays a role in how the collagen in your eyes will hold.
How Can You Rebuild Collagen Under Your Eyes?
Keep the skin around your eyes healthy to prevent the collagen from breaking down with these tips and tricks!
There are many different kinds of ways to rebuild the collagen within your body, but especially underneath your eyes to prevent them from wrinkling or even losing elasticity at a rapid rate. We think you should consider checking out our top six favorite ways and then choose which one is best for you!
How to rebuild collagen underneath your eyes:
- Take Collagen Supplements - Supplements, such as Dr. Emil’s Multi Collagen Plus offers lots of great benefits, and includes five types of collagen to support many parts of your body.
- Ingest More Vitamin C - Vitamin C and even amino acids can increase the amount of collagen in your body, along with hyaluronic acid. Eating lots of fruits can help boost the vitamin C in your body.
- Chemical Peels - Have you ever thought about getting a chemical peel? Consider getting one to help repair sun damaged skin on your face.
- Aloe Vera - Doing something as simple as taking aloe vera supplements can double the amount of collagen in your body.
- Limit Your Caffeine Intake - Can have bad effects on your skin, so it’s important to limit your intake, or even cut it completely.
- Red Light Laser Therapy - If you want to get a type of treatment done, consider red light laser therapy that can increase the growth of collagen in your skin. It is a non-invasive procedure that is extremely safe.
Rebuilding collagen under your eyes can sound like something that is impossible, but it’s actually quite easy. By taking supplements, changing your diet, or even going through skin treatments, preventing collagen from breaking down can keep you looking young and beautiful. Talk to your doctor today about how to rebuild collagen underneath your eyes today!