We all like to push ourselves when we’re working out--not only just to meet our fitness goals, but to keep both our mind and bodies balanced and functioning at their best. Exercise not only helps our physical bodies, but it helps our mood, gives us energy, and can be a great benefit to our mental health.
In this article we’re going to discuss the differences between theacrine and caffeine--and whether or not it’s a good idea to add teacrine to help with energy levels and your workouts. We could all use a little boost sometimes, especially when it comes to maintaining our fitness. So if you haven’t yet heard of teacrine and some of its benefits, keep reading because we’ll touch on:
- What is theacrine?
- Differences and similarities between theacrine and caffeine
- Benefits of teacrine and if it’s is right for you
What is Theacrine and What Does it Do?
Similar to caffeine, but not the same
Theacrine (which is used to make teacrine) is a naturally occurring chemical that has been found to be very similar to caffeine. When most people think of caffeine, they think of getting their daily wake up from a cup of coffee in the morning. It is also found in particular teas and coffees derived from the kucha and cupuacu plants, which are similar to tea and coffee plants respectively. So depending on your drink of choice, you may already be consuming it! The structure of theacrine is very similar to caffeine, and according to animal studies, it targets the same receptors and activates the central nervous system. You might also have feelings of alertness, or wakefulness, much like you do after enjoying your favorite caffeinated beverage.
Theacrine/teacrine works to help keep you awake and motivated, perfect for starting out your day, or if you need a boost before a workout. Many people have started to take advantage of teacrine supplements and have found that using them in tandem with regular caffeine, has led to better workouts, improved performance, decreased fatigue, shorter recovery times, and a more alert and positive mood. Who wouldn’t like to have more energy without the jitters and crash that can sometimes happen from caffeine?
- Theacrine and caffeine are similar chemicals. Theacrine is found naturally in plants related to tea and coffee plants.
- Theacrine/teacrine can help you feel more alert, awake, and elevates energy levels.
- There’s no crash or jitters associated with theacrine/teacrine.
Benefits of a Teacrine Supplement
Teacrine offers a wide variety of possible benefits
Because teacrine is closely related to caffeine, one of its major benefits is that it can help with energy levels, alertness, improved performance, concentration, and focus. When teacrine is taken pre-workout, it allows you to maintain energy levels, without the jitters and anxiety that can occur with too much caffeine. But did you know that there are other possible benefits to threacine as well?
- Improves mood. We’re well aware of the mood boosting capabilities of a good workout--they can make us feel great and at the top of our game. But adding teacrine instead of just caffeine might help you savor those feelings more frequently by helping your body release dopamine.
- No tolerance build-up. If you enjoy coffee or tea each morning for their caffeinated benefits, you’re probably aware that over time you can develop a tolerance, causing you to up your dosage as needed. With teacrine, this doesn’t happen--your body won’t build up a tolerance to it over time. You can enjoy the boost of energy from similar amounts without needing to add to it.
- Reduces inflammation. In animal studies, teacrine has been shown to reduce inflammation, which would be very beneficial when recovering from intense workouts or exercise sessions. Caffeine has no such effect.
- No impact on blood pressure or heart rate. There’s no increased heart rate or irritability when you use teacrine.
- Pain reduction. In this same animal study, teacrine also seemed to exhibit analgesic properties of the pain-relieving drug indomethacin.
- Limits fatigue. One reason teacrine is so popular with workout pros, body builders, and weekend athletes alike is because of its ability to decrease fatigue as you exercise, allowing you to enjoy longer workouts to help meet your fitness goals.
Should You Add a Teacrine Supplement and Caffeine to Your Pre-workout Routine?
Would adding a teacrine supplement be a good idea for you?
If you have a specific set of fitness goals that you’d like to reach, adding a teacrine supplement might be a good choice. You can find it available in supplement and powder form, and often it is sold as part of a pre-workout mix that can include creatine and caffeine as well. But don’t feel like you have to choose between caffeine and teacrine! When they are used in conjunction, they actually work together to give you an overall better experience. A Rutgers University study found that combining teacrine and caffeine results in an improved performance over just caffeine alone--so expect more endurance, without the fatigue, during your workout.
You’ll find yourself with more sustainable energy, less fatigue, and more alertness and focus to keep getting better and better workouts. A teacrine supplement can help you reach and go beyond your fitness goals, because with sustained energy, you’ll never feel that mid-workout crash. Instead, you’ll be able to calmly and efficiently make it to the end, which is sure to feel great!
With no crash that can come from just caffeine alone, adding teacrine can help you get the most out of your workout, with no fear of jitters or not being able to calm down post-workout. Instead, with caffeine and teacrine together, you’ll stay focused to complete your workout and then get on with your day.
Best Pre-Workout Including Teacrine
The benefits of Dr. Emil Nutrition’s Fortis Pre-Workout
A simple way to add a teacrine supplement to your routine is with Dr. Emil Nutrition’s Fortis Pre-workout. It’s an easy way to help you maximize workout performance and give you that everyday edge. Benefits include:
- Increased energy and endurance
- Improved focus
- Reduce inflammation
- Less muscle fatigue
- No crash
- No tolerance build up over time (like caffeine)
- Easy to use capsule form
You can take the Fortis Pre-Workout alone, or, really raise the bar in your fitness routine and make it the first step in our workout bundle, followed by:
- Men’s BCCA. Uses branch chain amino acids (BCAAs) to promote hydration and muscle mass, speed up muscle recovery time, decrease muscle fatigue and soreness.
- Men’s Post-Workout Recovery. With L-glutamine and Sustamine to increase muscle recovery, metabolic rate, promote muscle growth, and keep your immune system strong.
Using a bundle like this will ensure that you can make the most of every workout by giving your muscles the support they need. With increased endurance and faster recovery time, you’ll be reaching your fitness goals in no time.
Adding teacrine supplement to your pre-workout routine might be a good idea if you’re looking to up your fitness game, or you have specific goals you’re reaching for. It works well with caffeine, and offers some pretty helpful benefits to help you stay focused and stay energized throughout your workout and beyond.