In June of 2018, aging was added to the 11th edition of the International Classification of Diseases. The classification of aging is associated with various age-related illnesses that include cancer, cardiovascular disease, and neurodegeneration. New research has been on the rise in an attempt to delay or even reverse some of these illnesses, with several nutrient sensing systems now being investigated. One of these systems include sirtuins, which are a family of seven proteins essential to DNA expression and aging. Sirtuins can only function alongside NAD+, which is a coenzyme found in all living cells. NMN, or nicotinamide mononucleotide, is the precursor of NAD+ that has been gaining attention in recent years as an anti-aging product.
In this article, I will explain how NMN works as an anti-aging product along with other points that include:
- Benefits and safety concerns of NMN
- Studies to back up claims made about NMN’s anti-aging abilities
What is NMN?
Anti-aging health products have been on the rise in recent years, with the most notable products consisting of NMN. Increased levels of nicotinamide adenine nucleotide, or NAD+, can reverse mitochondrial decay, which is a major factor responsible for aging. NMN, or nicotinamide mononucleotide, is a precursor of NAD+ that plays the role of the “intermediate” in NAD+ biosynthesis. NMN can be found in our placenta tissue or body fluids such as urine, and even in many of the fruits and vegetables we eat such as soybeans, cabbage, cucumbers, broccolis, tomatoes, and mushrooms.
Initially, NMN was mainly looked at as a source of cellular energy and intermediate in the NAD+ biosynthesis. With anti-aging products becoming so much more common, the scientific community has studied NMN a bit more closely and looked at anti-aging activity and other health benefits associated.
How is NMN Associated with Anti-Aging?
Aging is marked by several biological factors, which can include epigenetic shifts, genomic instability, altered nutrient sensing ability, telomere attrition, mitochondrial dysfunction, cellular senescence, stem cell exhaustion, and dysregulated intercellular communication. Our NAD+ levels decrease significantly as we get older, and it’s estimated that our NAD+ levels can plummet to almost half that of our youth by middle age. Since NMN is an intermediated compound of NAD+ synthesis, the depleted NAD+ levels can be rejuvenated when consuming it. When NAD+ levels are boosted, insulin sensitivity can be increased, mitochondrial dysfunction can be reversed, and our lifespan can also be expanded.
When NMN is taken orally, it becomes rapidly absorbed and converted to NAD+. Supplementation with NMN has also shown to increase NAD+ biosynthesis, suppress age-related tissue inflammation, enhance insulin secretion and insulin action, improve mitochondrial function, improve neuronal function in the brain, and even more.
Investigating the Promises of NMN as an Anti-Aging Health Product
Over the years, there have been a plethora of studies done to investigate NMN as an anti-aging health product for managing age related diseases. These studies have been done by cell culture, animal models, and even human clinical investigations. Check out some of the most impressive research that has been done in recent years in regards to NMN.
In one study, about 90% to 99% of the substance was able to remain intact for up to 7 to 10 days. In another study, when administered orally, the level of plasma NMN rapidly increased. It was then observed that the effects of this substance on the blood samples of normal mice were well tolerated. Studies have shown that this substance can help maintain the integrity of the blood brain barrier. It can also reduce the inflammation that's associated with aging. Older mice are known to be more responsive to this substance than younger ones.
In addition, it can protect the heart from injuries and illness. In a mouse study, it was discovered that the substance prevents cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease. It also improved the survival of neurons.
Do You Actually Feel Younger When Taking NMN?
The supplement of NMN is considered as “the fountain of youth” for many, and has been done to further support this kind of a claim. As these supplements began to increase in popularity, there is a growing market for these products. The main claims we see that are made by NMN include its ability to extend one's life and combat diseases. Typically, we notice that marketing groups tend to exaggerate when putting out a product they want to do well. This is why it’s always important to do your own research before going out and purchasing any health product!
Since most of the studies done on NMN have primarily involved mice, it’s not completely certain whether or not NMN can have the exact same effects on humans. As studies continue on the effects of NMN in humans, it's becoming more clear that it can help treat various conditions such as Alzheimer's disease and diabetes. In addition, studies on animal models of aging have shown that the supplement can improve their energy levels and lipid profiles. In most experiments, the mice who took the supplements had an increase in metabolism as well.
In order to determine the effects of this substance on humans, researchers have been looking to conduct additional studies. They'll want to look at different parts of the body and how they may react to various doses of the NMN supplements.
As mentioned previously, our risk for developing various diseases will increase as we age. Check out some of the most prominent things NMN supplements may help you out with:
- Build muscle endurance: Consuming supplements such as NMN can help boost muscle endurance. They also work to metabolize glucose and fatty acids, which help muscles maintain their health.
- Repair DNA: One of the most important factors that can help maintain DNA “integrity” are sirtuins, which are produced by NAD+.
- Improve eyesight: Having low levels of NAD+ can contribute to the development of neurodegeneration and vision loss. NMN supplements work to increase the levels of NAD+ that can help with these sorts of vision issues.
- Improve mitochondrial function: The function of the mitochondria can be improved by maintaining high levels of NAD+. The mitochondria is the cell powerhouse responsible for converting the energy from food into something useful to our bodies.
- Prevent diabetes: Low levels of insulin sensitivity can lead to type 2 diabetes. This condition can make the body less responsive to insulin levels, which can raise the risk of developing obesity and diabetes.
- Improve brain function: According to scientists, the ability to deliver the NMN molecule to the brain can improve its function. They discovered that this process helps blood vessel dilation.
- Fight obesity: Studies have shown that the effects of the natural substance on obesity can also be beneficial. In one study, researchers discovered that three weeks of treatment with the NMN molecule resulted in a reduction in fat mass and improved glucose tolerance.
- Improve heart function: The human heart relies on the natural substance for its energy needs. It consumes a huge amount of energy throughout one's lifetime and depends on the presence of the NMN molecule to survive.
NMN + Cancer Risk
There has been speculation in recent years about NMN and potential risk of cancer. If someone already has cancer, then the effects of NMN could even ramp the development of the disease. Like other nutrients that are required for proper cell function, such as iron, glucose, amino acids, and B vitamins, cancer cells might also grow more quickly with the help of NMN. It's also believed that NMN can be beneficial for normal cells.
One of the most prominent nutrients that can lead to a much quicker development of cancer cells is folate, which is a B vitamin. It's required for the building of DNA, which is a vital component of healthy cells. Although it can increase the growth of cancer cells, it's important to note that folate can also reduce the risk of getting the disease in the first place. If a healthy cell can't make and maintain its DNA due to insufficient amounts of folate, then it could lead to cancer. This can also increase the risk of mutations in the DNA.
Although NMN can work to reduce the risk of getting a disease like cancer, someone who is already diagnosed with the disease may experience more rampant growth after taking the supplement. In addition to being beneficial for normal cells, certain nutrients and substances that are needed for proper cell function can also increase the development of the disease. To reduce the risk of getting the disease, it's important that we all work to take the necessary steps to hopefully prevent the disease and take various supplements, food, and other appropriate measures.
A recent study suggested that NMN could also help sensitize cancer cells to immunotherapies. This could lead to better outcomes with this type of treatment, and the study also noted that the use of NMN did not actually increase the volume of cancer cells in the control mice. This study suggests that the treatment does not accelerate the growth of cancer cells.
Feel Younger and Take Your NMN Today
There are many products out there that claim to make you feel rejuvenated and young once again, but strongly consider NMN when looking for appropriate options. Did you know I have my own NMN supplements?
Main Benefits of these Supplements include:
- Support healthy aging: Boosting the levels of NAD+ in your body is important to maintain healthy cells. The body converts the mineral into a chemical that helps promote cellular health.
- Regulate Glucose & Lower Inflammation: Minerals such as NMN can help boost energy levels and support healthy metabolisms. As the precursor of NAD+, it can also help in the functioning of cells that produce energy.
- Doctor Derived formulation: I have created this formulation based on the research I have come across regarding the benefits of natural mineral nutrients (NMN). Through my various studies, I have learned that some of these are not created equal. I decided to partner with other suppliers to produce a high-quality product.
- High quality ingredients: My natural mineral nutrition is made with 99% pure ingredients. It is also tested for purity and comes from a certified Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) facility.