We all want to look and feel our best, which is why each day we eat right, exercise, and keep a positive attitude. Following these guidelines will allow you to keep your stress levels lower, and help you find more happiness in your everyday routine. But what if there was a way to continuously promote that good mood we all enjoy so much, on a regular basis? Well, you might be able to do just that by adding a 5-HTP supplement to your day.
If you find yourself asking what is 5-HTP, and which brand of supplement you should take, you’ve certainly come to the right place! In this post we’re going to outline:
- What 5-HTP is
- Benefits of taking 5-HTP
- Our recommendations for 5-HTP supplements
What Is 5-HTP?
The chemical with the funny name
5-HTP stands for 5 hydroxytryptophan, and is a chemical that is derived from the amino acid tryptophan, which humans get from food. You might have heard of tryptophan before, it’s the one that might make you feel a little sleepy after eating too much Thanksgiving turkey--as turkey is a great source of protein. Tryptophan is the building block of 5-HTP, which is eventually converted by the body to serotonin--the happy chemical. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that relays information between brain cells, and its levels can have an effect on mood, pain, sleep, and anxiety.
Although the body cannot create tryptophan, food isn’t the only way we can boost our levels. Many people choose to include a supplement such as 5-HTP (made from the seeds of the plant Griffonia simplicifolia) in order to enjoy the benefits of increased serotonin levels.
- 5-HTP is created from the amino acid tryptophan and eventually is converted into the neurotransmitter serotonin.
- The body cannot create tryptophan, so we must get it from food and supplements.
- 5-HTP supplements can affect serotonin levels and offer some beneficial results.
Why Should You Include 5-HTP in Your Lifestyle?
What are some of the key benefits of adding 5-HTP into your routine?
Since serotonin is known as the happy chemical-- and its levels can have a direct effect on our mood-- 5-HTP supplements have been rising in popularity. But what are some of the benefits of adding this supplement to your routine?
- Can help with depression and anxiety. Studies have shown that our serotonin levels can have an impact on our mood and perspective, and those people that have conditions such as depression or anxiety may be able to find some help from their symptoms by adding a 5-HTP supplement. Boosting serotonin production could help increase levels and offer some relief.
- May be beneficial for insomnia. We all know how hard it is to get good sleep sometimes, but for those that suffer from chronic insomnia, 5-HTP may help. Because 5-HTP increases serotonin levels, and serotonin converts to melatonin--the hormone that controls the sleep/wake cycle--it may be able to help induce sleep.
- Treat pain from fibromyalgia and headaches. With conditions such as fibromyalgia and chronic headaches, you typically find low levels of serotonin in the body as well. 5-HTP may be able to increase those levels, and help alleviate symptoms such as fatigue, pain, and anxiety.
Best 5-HTP Supplements You Can Take
Our recommendations for 5-HTP supplements to help you feel your best
Dr. Emil Nutrition 5-HTP Plus
For a powerful dose of 5-HTP, turn to Dr. Emil Nutrition’s 5-HTP Plus. It’s packed with 200mg of 5-HTP that includes serotonin synthesizers sAMe and L Tryptophan. This formula also includes higher levels of vitamin B6, which is essential to convert 5-HTP to serotonin. These all-natural capsules are designed to help boost your mood, provide help for anxiety, and even assist in helping you get some restful sleep. But don’t take our word for it, this supplement is getting rave reviews on Amazon, with over 8,000 five star reviews.
“Since starting this supplement, my overall mood has benefited tremendously. It only took several days to start to notice meaningful results. I'm happier, less stressed and my sleep quality has improved a ton.I really love that this product not only improves mood but really does act as a very powerful sleeping aid, without the groggy, hungover feeling you get from taking Melatonin or OTC sleep products.” -Amazon Review
Nested Naturals 5-HTP
If you’re looking to maintain healthy serotonin levels, then why not give Nested Naturals 5-HTP a try? These capsules are vegan, gluten-free, and third party tested, and deliver 100mg of 5-HTP to help boost your mood and keep a healthy and consistent serotonin level. In addition to promoting a balanced mood, these once a day supplements will also help support relaxation, and offer a little bit of calm in a hectic and stressful world. The 5-HTP in each capsule can also assist with additional melatonin production, and help you achieve a better level of sleep.
Natrol 5-HTP Time Release
What’s better than increasing your serotonin levels and experiencing a lifted mood and a more energetic and positive attitude? Having that kind of feeling all day long! With the time release Natrol 5-HTP capsules, you’ll get just that. Each tablet includes 200mg of 5-HTP, so this supplement is designed to offer you all the benefits of additional serotonin, throughout your day. Get additional calm back into your routine with these plant-based capsules.
If you’re looking for a bang for your buck with your 5-HTP supplement, you can’t go wrong with Now 5-HTP. Each capsule has 100mg of 5-HTP designed to help promote serotonin production and enhance your mood. There are 120 vegan capsules in each bottle, which costs around $15. Get a great mood boost and help find rejuvenating sleep with these 5-HTP capsules, and don’t break the bank doing it.
Consider adding one of these 5-HTP supplements to your daily routine, and you’ll start to notice the benefits that come with maintaining a healthy level of serotonin. Whether you need help finding good sleep, need to add more calm to your life, or simply enjoy those good mood feelings, a 5-HTP supplement is always a great idea.